Thursday, February 25, 2010

Girls Night Out!!

Once every couple of weeks I go out, late at night, just me & my friends....it is wind down time, it is our time without kids or husbands, without the worry or stress that everyday life throws at us, it is goofy time, a time to laugh, a time to tell each other our thoughts, concerns, worries & triumphs, it is GIRLS NIGHT!!!

Last night was the night!! We were going to see Dear John at the movies, I was excited...I needed the night away, I had just had an incredible workout at the gym, I had school lunches packed, the house straightened up, gotten a lot done during the day & had done well on eating & doing what I should, so I deserved it....

I loaded my pocket with a low fat yogurt & a granola bar...I tucked my "life is good" mug under my arm & I was ready to go!!!

The first thing my friends wanted to do was eat something!! That is great I thought, I can do this...we ended up at Farr's Fresh Ice Cream & Yogurt....for those that have been there, STAY AWAY & for those that haven't, DON'T EVEN GET NEAR IT!!! ha ha, it is super good....you go in, there are about 16 different flavors of tart yogurt, yogurt, ice cream & custard to choose from.....you don't have to know what kind you want, because they help you by giving you these cute little 'tester cups' to try them all if you want!!!

Then you fill your cup (by the way they only have 2 sizes, large & larger) with whatever type of ice cream you want, then you turn around to the most amazing (I am quoting my 7 year old!!) array of toppings....I mean come on, if you have thought about it being on top of your ice cream, then chances are you will find it there....they range from candy bars to fruit to hot fudge!!! It is amazing!! After you are done, then you go over, put your creation on the scales & pay by the ounce....

So we go in, I just stand there, looking at all the people find joy in picking out & creating their masterpieces.....my friends included....I don't even feel a temptation to get one, I just encourage them to pick the healthiest stuff they can - the tart yogurt with fruit & nuts - my one friend tells me I am high!! :), she goes for the gusto, I am not jealous of her choice, it looked divine, but just not worth the calories to me....my other friend gets what I recommended because she hasn't seen me since this challenge started & was amazed at what I told her I had accomplished so far!!

Then comes the movie....we get our ticket, we are assaulted by the smell of fresh popped popcorn, my friend buys a large (she always does, she always offers some, I always refuse, I am not a movie popcorn person - I enjoy popcorn at home, when I can make it, fresh & hot, but just not at the movie, for the most part - I have to REALLY be in the mood for it)....anyhow we go in, me with my full water bottle, yogurt & granola - them loaded down with popcorn & drinks....

The ticket guy gives my friend trouble for bringing in her own water bottle, didn't say a word to me - what do you think he would have done had he known that I had stashed my yogurt & granola?? hmmmmm he he he

I was proud that I had my little snack, ate it quickly before the movie started, because I read somewhere recently that watching TV while eating slows down your metabolism....so I don't want it to slow, I just want to enjoy!!! The movie was good, the company the BEST & the resistance to eating when my friends eat a new hurdle I faced head on & did!!!

It saddens me to think that we are so tempted everywhere we go to EAT or DRINK to feel a part of the social crowd, my friend asked me, don't you feel awkward not eating with us?? I just said no, I am enjoying your company, I am good....

I am glad that I can still have girls night out & that my friends love & respect me & what I am choosing to do to not make it an issue, that is so helpful!! And I am glad I thought ahead & took my own 'treat' that I could enjoy (I would have taken carrots, but they crunch too loud!!)

2 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO!!! What a wonderful inspiration you are :) Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ali you are a fantastic example to me. Thank you for your thoughts. Yes I too go to girls night out and I have been worried. But if you can do it I can too!!!!

    ReplyDelete